Monday 2 November 2009

The Markets of London






Fall in London is a great time of year to visit the various markets of a weekend. Not only are they the perfect place to find unusual and/or hand-made gifts, there are always food stalls to fill you up with exotic dishes and yummy pastries.

This past week I went off to the Greenwich Market in Greenwich UK. This market excursion can be coupled with a walk up to the Royal Observatory to stand on the Prime Meridian or a visit to the Maritime Museum with it's rooms of Nelson artifacts if you want to make a day of it.

The Greenwich Market itself is row after row of small stalls selling jewelry, leather bags, hand-made soaps, knitted hats and scarves, metalwork, woodwork, and more. There are food stall selling British, Thai and Indian cuisine and a baked goods shop with huge cookies, brownies and custards.

I wandered around for about two hours before settling down for a bowl of hot soup and Italian bread. I did buy two pairs of silver ear rings for myself but was looking for a beaded bracelet I had seen on one of the other teachers at my school. I didn't find that stall - maybe they were just not there this weekend or maybe they were there but had sold out of the beaded bracelets. I will go back in a few weeks to see if they are there again.

This next weekend I plan to go the the Spittlefield Market which is near the Liverpool Station in Northeast London. I will report back with more information. I still need to get over to the Borough Market near London Bridge on the south side of the Thames and the famous Porobella Rd Market. There are so many!! (see map above!)

If there is something in London you would like me to look at and report back, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment